Saturday, July 9, 2011

What's done is done

Day 1: Surgery.
I stayed up nearly all night Thursday night and worked out early am on Friday so I would be able to sleep a lot after my surgery. By the time I got to the doctor (8:00am) I was exhausted and terrified. After some doublechecks, reassuring words and a valium I was ready to go in.The Surgery: They laid me on my back and gave me a teddy bear to squeeze. They put numbing drops in my eyes and propped my eyes open. Next, they put a sponge soaked in medication on my eye. It didn't hurt. It looked like a white, glowing orb. They then removed the sponge and scraped off my epithelium. This was what I feared most, but it really wasn't that bad. I couldn't feel it at all. It seemed like they were just moving around in front of my eyes. With the outer layer gone, they told me to stare at the blinking amber light. Then they moved on to my other eye. Before I knew it, it was over. When I sat up, I could see the clock on the wall. Things were clear. I was dizzy from the pain meds, but Reed was there to get me home safely. I looked pretty sharp with the eye shields taped to my face and some nascar-inspired sunglasses wrapped around them (courtesy TLC vision center.) Once home, I took a long nap. My right eye had some irritation, but my left eye felt great. I slept on and off all day. Up for lunch, back to bed, up for the bathroom, back to bed, up for dinner, back to bed. Reed did everything. Including taking this dictation... And composing the portions regarding his own contributions.

Day 2: Recovery
I woke up unable to open my eyes. Following 20 minutes of eyedrops, I decided to change clothes with my eyes shut. I had a first day post-op to make it to. I helped get my kids ready with one eye shut (she really wasn't that much help.) The Doc said it all looked excellent and that I am seeing 20/50. Yesterday, before the operation I was seeing 20/300-20/400. I am to expect my vision will get worse before it gets better. The next few days should be the hardest. Today wasn't what I would call easy, but I think its going to be worth it. My eyes are in pain tonight. I am keeping them shut pretty much all the time. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

1 comment: